Sunday, September 09, 2007

Beer

After a cup of tea and a sausage and egg bap on the beach from Kenno's (very good and reasonable too) I got my kit together to go snorkelling. I wore my thick wetsuit and tried the 11kg of weight I estimated previously. It was fine, I don't need any more. But with so much weight I think some of it would be better on the ankles. Visibility was alright, 3 to 4 metres perhaps. About 15 to 20 metres from the cliff I was mainly over kelp. Further on and closer in I found some rocks and shallow reefs to look round.

I took a few picture of the sponges and fan worms and found a thin semi-transparent worm I hadn't seen before. As well as a look round, I wanted to test my flash some more and see what might be done to get the flash (a Sealife SL960D) to work when it's supposed to. What seemed to happen today was that in 'close-up' mode, the auto-flash setting triggered the strobe; whereas the forced flash had frequently failed. I need to try this again, if this turns out not actually to be the case then I wonder if ditching the cable and using the flash just to 'fill-in' might be worth a go. Some fish were about: two-spot gobies, ballan wrasse, and a few sprats.

There's a lot of little boats in and out, so a blob is a good idea.

In the afternoon, Yas and I walked over the big hill to Seaton, along the front to Axmouth and back again - which was very agreable, and also I didn't feel so bad about eating 2x pasties for dinner!

No comments: