Friday, June 19, 2009

Roskilly

A diving couple at Porthkerris told us they'd been at Roskilly, near Newlyn. I decided to take a look, and maybe snorkel there as it would be sheltered etc,.. Would be a nice shore dive - not sure what's further out, but rocky with sandy patches and below kelp lots of life, inc. cushion stars. Sprats, mullet, tompot blenny, and a couple of Cyanea Larmarkii (blue jellyfish).

Took a couple of awful pictures - blaming kelp, inadequate lung capacity,.. and before too long the flooded battery compartment on my AF35 strobe. The flood was my fault for not tightening the nut (the cover can be attached and in place but not sealed). Anyway that made bit of a mess, opening it up to find grey sludge and burnt terminals, I got rid of the batteries and flushed it out with water. Later on flushed with mouthwash (alcoholic see - and all I had!) and cleaned with cotton buds. Still looking horrible and one of the springs broken. Back home I made a new spring out of a top (B or E) guitar string - it had to be springy enough not to prevent a seal from being made. Anyway I dropped that in and the thing actually works!

No comments: