Saturday, June 02, 2007

Anstey's Cove, Torbay

The weather on Saturday was much better than forecast so we decided to try Anstey's Cove. The sea at Dawlish on the drive over was choppy but we'd find somewhere sheltered around Torquay. Anstey's is very nice. The path down from the car park is steep, but not too bad if you're snorkelling. It stayed fine and visibility was better than expected too, despite the spring tide. It was a bit milky at low water but a good 2 to 3 metres.

Stupidly I'd left my snorkel at home. I'd collected it up but didn't go the distance and actually put it in the kit bag, so I went without (sensibly I ditched a few kilos). It was worth it, apart from the exercise, to discover that the May algae bloom might be clearing. There were small moon and compass jellyfish. Plenty of juvenile fish, and a large ballan wrasse lurking in the kelp, which there was a lot of; see the picture of the kelp zombie.

There were a few other bits and pieces, the usual stuff - but I seemed to get cold quickly and I didn't stay in very long or go over to Redgate Beach as planned and around the rocks there which in the past I've found a bit more interesting - next time.

No comments: