Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Spinalonga Peninsula / Agioi Pantes Island

Dive site 'Explosion #1' on the southeast tip of the Spinalonga Peninsula - a short ride on the rib from the Mirabello and dive outfit Crete Underwater Centre.

Took my own basic kit and hired everything scuba, and suit (long sleeved shorty). Had a 15l tank and used 6kg of lead which was fine. It was to be my first open water diving using a BC instead of a drysuit. Buddy was called Steve. Already hot I was glad I had my hat and some water. Arriving at the site the boat was moored next to another near a large open cave below some cliffs. Checked my gear, listened to the dive brief, checked what signals used and in we all went. The dive was great. Visibility fantastic. Not many plants but was pleased to recognise the fish I'd seen snorkelling, wrasse, bream, combers, parrotfish, small blue fish, fireworms, sponges etc,.. Scattered around the dive site were shells, and shell cases and bits of metal. Good dive route took us over some rocky ground 5-7 metres below the RIB the out over a ledge and along a slope which became more wall like further along. Returned along same route but shallower for decompression.

A nice surface interval (Yas had gone into town) I went back to Lito, got lots of drink and some snacks and had bit of rest and sorted out the camera. Walked back to Mirabello for the 2nd dive and met Manfred, who was to be my next buddy. Another short ride out this time to the south east and the gap between two islands off Ag Nik. the larger of which is Agioi Pantes and the smaller Mikronisi. Easy free descent, as there was no current and extremely good vis. Got together with my buddy as we set off nice and easy along the slopes, which were mainly rocky becoming sandier futher out.

Clusters of small and medium sized shell cases around and about. There was some good wildlife, again plenty of fish, and lots of different sponges; also starfish feeding, a large brittlestar on a sponge, and a giant red sea squirt. Manfred found a fishing rod, and I found a snorkel (a bit manky so I didn't keep it). We went along nice and slowly again, so there was good time to take a few pictures and enjoy the scenery.

Back at CUWC we all cleaned off kit - easy using the dunk tank - and I settled up. CUWCs rates were very reasonable (I paid €90 for my diving and kit hire). They were well equipped and freindly and helpful. I was delighted with a fantastic day's diving. Sadly, but quite rightly in fairness to Yasmin, that was all the scuba I would be doing - but there was plenty more snorkelling to look forward to.

No comments: